Through the Nexus Internship, young adults will discern their gifts and calling into ministry, which may be as clergy or as laity.
Interns are matched with teaching sites, which are committed to nurturing future leaders by involving interns into the full life of the church and the running of their ministries. Supervision and mentorship is provided at each site, usually in the person of the pastor or ministry director.
Interns are expected to:
- commit to the full duration of the internship;
- actively participate, share in, and learn from the life and ministry of the teaching site;
- demonstrate on-going action/ reflection on ministry experiences and discerning of call through weekly meetings with teaching pastor, fulfillment of assignments, and weekly video chats with the other interns and internship coordinator
- attend the Nexus Convocation (online)
Teaching Pastors and Churches are expected to:
- attend the orientation session
- work one-on-one with intern
- develop plan for intern to be involved in various ministries of the church
- provide allowance for living expenses ($1000 is recommended)
In consideration of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, it will be preferred if interns would serve at their home church.
Interns will receive a stipend of $1,000 upon completion of the program.
Travel, Room, & Board
Teaching churches should provide an allowance for living expenses.
A travel stipend may be provided by Nexus if travel is required to the Nexus Convocation to assist with the event (To Be Determined)/
Any upper-class college student, graduate, seminarian, or young adult sensing a call to ministry may apply. Priority will be given to those serving in the United Methodist.
Download the application for interns: Intern Application.
Download the application for teaching churches: Teaching Church Application
Please email application to: email@example.com
Prumeh Lee is the Internship Director. She herself was a TG Intern in 1994. She previously served as the Director of Youth Initiative and more recently served as a GBGM missionary in Central Asia before returning to NYC. Currently she’s in the MDiv program at Drew Theological School, pursuing ordination as a deacon in the UMC. Feel free to call or email her with any questions: (646) 280-9885.